Somerset West Soccer Club participates in the Spring Soccer league coordinated through the Westside Soccer Club. Some teams and coaches choose to play in the spring and a special spring league registration and team fee applies. No additional club registration is required by Somerset West for players who registered in our prior fall league. Follow the guidance below if you and your team are interested in playing spring soccer. It is the head coaches responsibility to work with the club registrar, league representatives and other club contacts to ensure a smooth spring season. Due dates, meeting information and team fees are on the WSC Spring Mailer sent by Westside to the registrar in November. Here is the 2017 wsc-spring-mailer-2017.
- Mid October – discuss Spring Soccer with your team to determine player/parent interest.
- Late October – before fall season ends, get some commitment from players.
- November – Return your equipment bag from fall even if you are planning to play in the spring. This is important because our equipment manager has to inventory our supplies after each season.
- November – Start your roster and add players if necessary by contacting coaches in your age group/gender; use the coach contact information sheet from your fall packet. Contact the SWSC registrar (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) and let her know you will be playing. She will send you the Westside Spring Registration form when she receives it from the Westside president.
- December/January – Finalize your roster and notify the club registrar (mailto:email@example.com) and club head coach (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) about your intention to play spring soccer. The club registrar needs the player names on your final roster.
- December/January – With a final roster count, you can divide the league fee and collect money from parents. Checks from players/parents should be made out to you. The league payment made by mid-February will be a single check to Westside written by you (coach).
- January – Any coaches & assistants must be registered and concussion training completed.
- January – Get your final roster to Jan (SWSC Registrar) and have her generate your final approved roster and a signed registration form by end of January. Fill in the registration form.
- February – Before the due date listed on the registration form, turn in your form and roster to Westside rep with money for team fee. Fee is paid with a single check written by you (coach).
- Mid/Late February – Attend league-wide coaches meeting and receive your spring coach packet from Stu (SWSC Head Coach). Spring meeting details are listed on the registration form.
- Early March – Respond to queries from Spring league coordinator about practice preferences.
- March – Watch your e-mail for game and practice schedule announcements.
- March – Get your equipment mailto:email@example.com.
- March – Deadline for any kind of roster adjustment (player / coach changes) is April 1.
- First week after Spring break – Start Practices (one per week).
- Early April – Start Games. Note that there may be games rescheduled during the spring season.
- End of May/early June – End of season.
- June – Return equipment to SWSC equip manager mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: A lot of players from my fall team want to play in the spring but I need more players to make a complete roster for spring. How do I find other players to fill my roster?
A: In the fall, you were given a coach contact list. You can contact coaches with players in the same age group/gender and work to fill your roster.
Q: Why do I have to return my fall equipment if I know I’m playing in the spring?
A: It is important to return your equipment immediately after a season ends because our equipment manager has to inventory our supplies to ensure we have what we need for the next season.
Q: I know a player who wants to play on my spring team but they did not register with Somerset West for last fall season, are there special steps for them?
A: Yes, if the player played with another club in the fall, the SWSC Registrar (mailto:email@example.com) will need to know the kids name and which club they played with in the fall, so the player can be transferred. If not, they can register online. Just have them go to https://secure.sportsaffinity.com/reg/Public/registration/login.aspx?domain=oysa-swsc.sportsaffinity.com&language=english&sessionguid= and click Player Registration and complete it. The cost for is $25.00 (covers state registration and insurance). Please have them inform mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org when their registration is complete.
Q: How do I register my team?
A: In early to mid-February you will need to register your team for spring play (see <link> for registration due date and team fee by age-group). The team fee will be the only cost and covers everything, so you can just divide that by the number of committed players. On or before the registration due date, turn in the signed registration form, sent When you turn in your team registration in February, you’ll take a single check to pay the fee. As the coach, I just write a single personal check for this and have the parent/players make their individual check out to me. It is good to get the player check as a sign of their commitment to play.
Q: Do coaches and assistants need to register with the league for spring soccer?
A: Any coaches/assistants who did NOT register for the prior fall league MUST register for spring. Fall-registered coaches/assistants do not need to re-register.
Q: Do I need to redo my coach concussion training?
A: If you did the training for the prior fall season, no need to redo. Otherwise you should get concussion training (see here http://www.somersetwestsoccer.org/2015/concussion/concussion-coaches.php). Head and Assistant coaches need this training.<<They may need to redo the concussion training if it moves to a calendar year time period. I will check with OYSA>>
Q: How much will this cost and do these costs cover everything?
A: The team cost covers everything (games, referees, practice fields, etc). It may change from year to year and also varies by age group. For spring 2016, the per-team cost was:
- U8 – $220
- U9-U10 – $340
- U11-U12 – $360
- U13-U14 – $480
Q: Can I pay online and just e-mail my forms.
A: No, you must pay with a check and turn your forms in to the Westside registration location listed on the Registration form.
Q: How do I arrange for practices for spring play?
A: Westside will provide a practice field for 1 practice per week. Coaches learn more about practice field request process at the Spring soccer meeting in Feb. Typically, coaches have an opportunity after the meeting to provide their top 4 preferences of practice times and dates. Westside does good job to give coaches what they want/need.
Q: I have already returned my coaching equipment and player uniforms from the fall season, how do I get the equipment and Jerseys I need for Spring soccer?
A: Contact the club equipment manager (mailto:email@example.com).
Q: Are the rules and player counts by age group different for the spring season compared to fall?
A: No, the rules and player counts are the same as they were in the fall season.
Q: I want to have my micro team play in the spring, what do I have to do for that?
A: For micro teams, the Westside coordinator wants the micro coach to contact the Westside office directly (2016 Westside phone number is 503-352-0180).
Q: What is the absolute LAST date that I can add a player or coach to my roster for Spring.
A: All rosters are frozen on April 1.
Q: I have a much more interesting question than these canned items I just read through. Who can answer some REAL questions?
A: Contact the Somerset West Head Coach (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).