Thank you for volunteering your time to serve as a coach with the Somerset West Soccer Club (SWSC). Whether you are a new coach or a returning coach, the club, neighboring clubs, and the state association offer many training opportunities for you to increase your knowledge of the game and your ability to teach it effectively. What follows are coach requirements, a list of the club’s coaching clinics, and a summary of the state and national certification and licensing courses offered in the Portland metropolitan area.
Concussion Awareness training now required for all coaches/assistants
Starting in 2014, a new Oregon state law requires that ll coaches and assistants complete an online Concussion Awareness course. Until you have done this and let us know, you will not be placed as a coach on a team. To complete the online training, please go to http://www.nfhslearn.com/electiveDetail.aspx?courseID=38000, register/create an account, and then complete the “Concussion in Sports” course. When you have successfully completed the course, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Coaching Curriculum from Oregon and US Youth Soccer
Here is the list of training opportunities we have planned for Fall 2016: FallCoachTraining
These links will help you pull together practice plans and drills that are appropriate for the age of your team.
- Oregon Youth Soccer Coach Education Page
- US Youth Soccer U6-U8 Practice Activities
- US Youth Soccer U10 Practice Activities
- US Youth Soccer U12 Practice Activities
For more information
A more detailed description of the state and national courses and a schedule of all coaching clinics/courses in the state can be found on the Oregon Youth Soccer Association (OYSA) Web site at www.oregonyouthsoccer.org. Please note that it is the policy of the SWSC to reimburse its active coaches for the registration cost incurred to attend the National Youth License Module and state and national license courses. To obtain reimbursement for the registration fee, simply provide a copy of the course completion certificate or license along with evidence of the fee paid to the club’s Head Coach. If you have questions or comments about SWSC coaching training please contact the SWSC Head Coach.
Your child’s team may need a Coach
Potential Parent Coaches
- I don’t know anything about soccer:
- Resources – The coaching resources above provide training details for warm-up drills, practice drills and small sided games.
- Mentoring – There are two different opportunities for this. First we can pair you up with an experienced coach who can help you get organized and answer any questions. You will also have the opportunity in late August and early September to do a training session with a coach (from UK International Soccer) and your team. They can help with practice drills, small sided games and general practice formats.
- Before the fall season starts, there will be coach meetings where we will handout equipment, discuss the fall season and talk with some of the SWSC board members. See the Club Calendar for dates, times and location for the coach meetings.
- If you have time constraints we can work with you to accommodate practice times and locations. Most teams will have an assistant coach who can share the load.
- There will be multiple opportunities for training:
- The first week of August during our club’s soccer camp we will have three age-specific sessions in the evening for coaches training with UK International Soccer coaches.
- There is also an early August coach training session from the Portland Timbers
- Finally the last 2 weeks of August and early September we will have UK International Soccer coaches available to work with you and your team during your practice session.
- We are also planning special Striker & Goalie training with UK International coaches.
- To register as a coach go to: http://oysa-swsc.sportsaffinity.com/reg/index.asp#. You will need your driver’s license number to complete your registration. Login and select your name under the family member section. Fill in the information and digitally sign any forms and submit your application. If you have any questions you can contact our registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for your time and support of soccer with SWSC.
SWSC Head Coach